Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Year’s Resolution: The 4 Healthy Ps!

It’s that time of year again … time to decide on our resolutions for the New Year.  For this year’s resolution, I’m thinking of a simple guideline - the 4 Healthy Ps:

PEOPLE 


PETS    


POCKETBOOK


PLANET   

 
I have decided that 2013 is the year I make all my decisions based on the question: Will it help benefit any of the 4 Healthy Ps?  If I answer yes to any one of them, then it’s a good decision.  If I can answer yes to all of them, then it’s an outstanding decision!

For example, if I decide to only buy organic or pastured eggs for me and my pets, then I am answering yes to 3 out of 4:  (1) healthy for people (pastured eggs have twice the omega-3s as conventional eggs), (2) healthy for my pets (more omega-3s for my pets, too), and (3) healthy for the planet (these chickens are not fed arsenic-laden feed nor given massive antibiotics).  It may not be healthy for my pocketbook, but I can live with that.

And who knows, perhaps my next decision in 2013 will be healthy for my pocketbook.  For instance, I may decide to learn how to make my own pizza instead of buying a premade pizza.  That also passes 3 of the 4 "tests":  (1) healthy for me (I can use lots of organic veggie ingredients), (2) healthy for my pocketbook (making it myself is cheaper than store-bought or restaurant pizza), and (3) healthy for the planet (no packaging to throw away).

So this year I will base my decisions on the 4 Healthy Ps test, aiming for 4 out of 4 on every decision.  How many Ps will your decisions impact in 2013?

2 comments:

  1. I can help with the pizza-making! And maybe pizza can be the fifth P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll take you up on that offer! Hooray for the fifth P! :)

    ReplyDelete